This is the oldest structure in the Gaslamp
Quarter to be owned continuously by the same family. In 1881, Spencer and Ogden purchased
the building from Charles de Leval, and it remained with the Ogden family. The second
floor was added in 1885, and the original ironwork of this French Renaissance-style
building was replaced with newer material. One of the early tenants was a dentist who
attempted to make fireworks, and blew away part of the second floor in 1887.
The building is the location for The Bitter
End, a bar, and other tenants.
Back To A Brief
History of Downtown San Diego