This one-story building with 12-inch thick
walls was used as John Young's morgue from 1881 to 1885. Young was the County Coroner, and
claimed embalming to be his specialty. The basement vault was surrounded by ropes used to
lower caskets into the ground to keep them cool. In 1885, the undertaking rooms were
removed, and the Gray and Co. furniture store took over. The Montijo family, locally known
for their saddle shops, opened another at this site in 1892.
Back To A Brief
History of Downtown San Diego