A joint effort of the Masonic and Odd
Fellows Lodges, this Classical Revival-style building required nearly a decade to complete
due to a lack of money and materials. A parade kicked off the long awaited laying of the
cornerstone, into which was placed a casket containing valuable coins, historic documents,
and even a stone from Solomon's Temple. The lodges shared the second floor until the
Masons moved to a new hall in 1910.
Back To A Brief
History of Downtown San Diego