In the "Asian Pacific Historic
District", The Quong Building in not only an historical structure, it has also been
the site of archeological digs. The building gets its name from Mow Yuen Quong, a business
man who operated the structure 1889 to 1928. The building has been listed in city
directories as being used for an opium den, a restaurant, and an Oriental merchandise
store, all during Quong's operation. Later years saw the building used as a house of
prostitution run by the infamous Mary Smith.
It is now occupied by a real estate
office, and a Mexican Nouvelle restaurant called Candelas.
Back To A Brief
History of Downtown San Diego